Critical approaches to film festivals: history, culture and politics
- Guests: Caroline Moine, Paz Lázaro Barquilla, Marta Selva Masoliver, Ruth Pérez de Anucita Rosende, Víctor Iriarte, Charlotte Serrand, Aida Vallejo Vallejo, Alejandro Díaz Castaño, Vanesa Fernández Guerra, José Luis Rebordinos, Pablo La Parra Pérez
- Language: Basque, Spanish
This Summer Course proposes an introduction to festival studies, establishing dialogues between the past, present and future. On the one hand, the talks will make a historical analysis of different international film festivals and their relationship with the main contemporary social and political transformations.
In the last decade, the field of “festival studies” has developed new critical approaches to film festivals. Beyond superficial readings focusing on spectacle and glamour, festivals have been understood as fundamental pieces in film culture, with important social, political, and economic repercussions.
This course proposes an introduction to festival studies, establishing dialogues between past, present, and future. On the one hand, the lectures will engage in a historical analysis of different international film festivals to explore their relationship with the main contemporary social and political transformations. On the other hand, roundtables will open a space of discussion about the present and future of film festivals. Addressed to general audiences, the course aims to become a meeting point between researchers and film professionals, triggering discussion and thought from a critical, historical, and comparative perspective.
Picture: Festival de San Sebastián
- Introduction (Pablo La Parra Pérez, Elías Querejeta Zine Eskola /San Sebastian Film Festival - Research Dept. Coordinator/Principal researcher proyecto "Zinemaldia 70")
- "Cinema and the Cold War" (Caroline Moine, Université de Versailles-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines - Professor and researcher)
- Case study: "The birth of festivals in a divided Germany: cultural and political challenges" (Caroline Moine)
- Round table: "Festivals, feminism and the gender gap" (Paz Lázaro Barquilla, Berlinale - Selection Committee; Marta Selva Masoliver, Mostra Internacional de Films de Dones de Barcelona - Director; Ruth Pérez de Anucita Rosende, San Sebastian Film Festival - Head of Communicationn)
- "The ruptures of the 'long ‘68'" (Pablo La Parra Pérez)
- Case study: "Festival in Transition: the late ’68 of Zinemaldia" (Pablo La Parra Pérez)
- Round table: "Programming challenges for 21st century festivals" (Víctor Iriarte, Tabakalera - Head of Cinema and Audiovisual Programmes; Charlotte Serrand, Quinzaine des Réalisateurs-Cannes/Festival International du Film La Roche-sur-Yon - Selection Committee/Deputy Artistic Director, Pablo La Parra Pérez)
- "The proliferation of festivals at global level. Towards a specialised exhibition model" (Aida Vallejo Vallejo, Universidad del País Vasco (UPV/EHU) - Professor and researcher)
- Case study: "Documentary film festivals: production, exhibition, distribution" (Aida Vallejo Vallejo)
- Round table: "Festivals in Spain: challenges and prospects" (Alejandro Díaz Castaño, Festival Internacional de Cine de Gijón - Director; Vanesa Fernández Guerra, Zinebi - Director; José Luis Rebordinos, San Sebastian Film Festival - Director, Pablo La Parra Pérez)